Date: May 17, 2020
Bible Text: 2 Timothy 1:7 | Jason Smith
Growth Group Discussion Questions
1. In what area of your life are you good at self-discipline? In what area do you struggle with selfdiscipline? The Holy Spirit will help strengthen our weak areas of discipline – self-control is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. Pray a prayer asking for God to help you with self-control.
2. God is our protector, our refuge, our strength, and the lifter of our heads. What other attributes does God possess?
3. How do you escape to find rest from a challenging situation? How do you know when a healthy habit becomes an obsession or an idol to you?
1. After trusting God and living with a spirit of power, King Asa gave into his fear and sought out the help of a foreign government to help defeat the invading northing kingdom instead of trusting in God to protect him. In what areas are you giving into your fear and seeking help or relief from ungodly things instead of seeking Christ?
2. In what areas has sin exposed undisciplined areas in your life?
3. What are some spiritual Priorities you would like to work on in the coming months? How can your parents help you become more disciplined in these areas?
4. Take an inventory of all the places you run to rest or get away from the stresses of the world. Are you running to God or to other things? Why do you think that is?
1. What stood out to you from the sermon and the Disrupted series?
2. Compare and contrast Asa's and Daniel's self-discipline and response to crises.
3. What are things the world runs to for escapes ("acceptable" and unacceptable)?
a. Read 2 Chron. 14:11. What causes us to run to gods of escape, instead of the peace of our true God?
b. When we fear, how can we make sure we turn to God as our escape?
4. What are some of the spiritual disciplines?
a. When have you been most and least self-disciplined spiritually? What has been the difference between those times?
b. Pastor Jason said that discipline is proper priorities lived out. Is there anything you are looking to reprioritize?
5. God’s indwelling Spirit will empower us to be self-disciplined and not allow fear to cause you to compromise and be reactionary. Pastor Jason mentioned three questions that each of us should privately, prayerfully consider this week. Does anyone have any thoughts on the following three questions that they want to share with the group?
a. How are you doing as a self-disciplined Christian?
b. Is your discipline fueling a power filled and love filled life?
c. Is fear exposing a lack of self-discipline in your life?
Download Files Notes